Tuesday, January 30, 2007

GOT CHANGE?


So I was coming out of lecture hall with a bunch of other people. And I saw this woman, poorly clad and obviously seeking help. Now, out of about 10 people there, she singled me out.

"Speak English?" she asked me.

"Yea, I do," I said. She held out a note. I took it. Scratchy handwriting + long note = I need to kick someone's ass.

Basically she wrote down her life story. She just came from Bosnia. Her mother is in a wheelchair and her brothers are sick. She can't get work. Therefore she has hardly anything to eat. Would I please donate her some money.

"I'm sorry," I said. "I don't have any money on me."

She looked at me. I thought I would see disappointment. But it was anger and frustration. "Just some change," she said.

"You don't understand. I don't have cash right now." She gave me a dirty look. Like she didn't trust I was telling the truth. "I'm... I'm sorry." I called out as she walked away.

Wow, I don't think a stranger ever hated me that much before.

Except the time I pissed off this lady at Harrod's.

I hope she finds help somewhere else. But I didn't deserve the dirty look she gave me for I haven't done anything wrong. I would so buy you some food in the right situation and place. I know I shouldn't be mad at her, she obviously has bigger problems, but I am upset. You don't easily forget the hateful look a stranger gave you.

Makes me feel like a tiny person.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home