Tuesday, September 04, 2007

COFFEE




According to my friend, Starbucks has come out with a new drink. I have spent half of my free time stopping myself from rushing to the nearest Starbucks and ordering one. Coffee... The caffeine-craving monster in me is really trying to claw its way out, drooling and whimpering pathetically. After 4 weeks without coffee, that monster is quickly becoming a sissy.

Two years ago, I didn't believe in the power of coffee. I loved the smell of it but hated the bitter taste it left in my mouth. Plus I never really needed it.

But somehow my friends managed to convince me to give coffee another try. I did and fell in love with the stupid drink. Apparently I was doing it all wrong before that. Black coffee - blearghhh. Full cream milk and sugar - ding ding ding that's the way to go.

Thus I became a regular drug user. My relationship with coffee is a good one. Coffee is my friend in the morning, it's always there and always reliable. But like most of my friends, I don't really use coffee to stay up at night, fuck medical school and medical exams. By evening, my body is too tired to resist my bed, no matter how many cups of coffee I drown myself in. The only real thing that can make me stay up is called last minute panic. What is adrenaline but the best drug ever.

Every holiday, I stop drinking coffee. The first three days without coffee will turn me into a completely useless zombie. The headache will start in the morning until late at night. I will only have 2-3 hours free of headache before I have to go to bed and wait for the next cycle. On the fourth day, the headache will magically disappear and I will find myself free of caffeine craving. Bright sun will no longer annoy me, I can ignore the construction noises outside my window, life will be restored to normal.

Ehh I know the withdrawal doesn't sound good but it doesn't leave me shivering, hallucinating and puking. Now, those are nasty.

I'm a little bit scared to try RedBull...