Sunday, November 30, 2008

T_T

My first LP was unsuccessful T_T I hit bone on 3 adjustments of the LP needle and my SHO butted me out. As a medical student, I only deserved that much chance.

Some procedures like LP and drains don't come very often for medical students. There's always some F1s around who want to attempt those. So, even though I didn't get it, I was proud that I was brave enough to attempt it.

(Well, actually after two years of sticking needles and venflons in people, there's really no excuse for being afraid or nervous anymore.)

That was probably the next best thing I've done this year apart from the simulation training we had a few weeks ago. The whole flaw of the training was that we were supposed to act like proper doctors on the ward i.e. no running and crying to senior doctors when facing troubles.

But we all know as F1s, that's what we're going to do anyway.

Hey, you gotta do what you gotta do to avoid killing people.

(Btw, the SHO didn't get the LP as well. And they tried again later that evening after giving diazepam to the patient and still didn't get it. That made me feel slightly better. Until the registrar came and did it himself the next day, sigh)