Wednesday, January 31, 2007

WAITING FOR A MAN


I was walking behind this young woman pushing a baby stroller. When we came to the stairs leading to the hospital, she stopped and I walked past her with not a single thought on my mind. At the top of the stairs, it only struck me. So I went back to her.

"Do you need help?" I asked. And we proceeded to haul the baby stroller up the stairs.

"Thank you. I was waiting for a man to help," she said, laughing embarrassedly.

Well, did you marry one?? was my immediate thought. But I said, "No problem." I think she would push me down the stairs if I did. But I pity her. If you need help, just say you need help. Don't say it's specifically from a man. How are you going to survive if you don't even sound tough enough?
Can't reach for something on a shelf? You need someone tall to help you. Can't open a bottle? You need a strong pair of hands to help you. I cannot go any slower than this.

No, I'm not a feminist. It's hard to be feminist when you grew up with 4 brothers. And I love all my brothers. I really do.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home