Wednesday, December 10, 2008

HEART

The other day, I saw my first heart.

It belonged to a man who had jumped off in front of a train and ended up in A&E resus with his chest cut out wide open and an anaesthetist massaging his heart. I was on my way to theatre to see an Ommaya reservoir insertion but ended up following the trauma call. It wasn't difficult; all I did was follow the blood trail on the floor.

Have you ever seen a pink heart beating on its own in a chest cavity that has been practically cut into two? And how it speeds up after a push of adrenaline?

Given the chance, I could spend hours and hours staring at it. Forget eating and drinking, I'd just park myself right next to it and watch it pumps.

I'm doing neurosurgery rotation right now. Sure they do very impressive surgeries, but a beating heart beats all the craniotomies in the world.

But then again, if I'm lucky, there's an awake craniotomy tomorrow. As a general rule, I can't stand surgical rotations but an awake craniotomy.. I honestly can't wait to see it.

This is one of the very many perks of doing medicine. Every once in a while, something amazing will happen. So amazing that it will lift up your spirits and make you believe.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

........

i can't relate to all this medic writing!!! what happened to the good old days!!??

aaaaaaaaaaaaaa

adam

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 3:55:00 am  
Blogger ai said...

no more angry asma. im trying to upgrade to the proper adult version - the mature asma.

what's wrong with trying to grow up?

although, dunno if that's possible..

Wednesday, December 17, 2008 7:21:00 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

angry asma' is more entertaining. medic asma' has nothing to do with being mature or growing up... it just makes the audience lose interest because its so hard to read and relate to. at least that's how i feel from the actuarial stand point. maybe i should write about all the interest rates and cutting federal spending and how to calculate loss reserves and supply and demand curves and how the mortgage crisis in america happened and the bornhuetter ferguson method....

u got a talent in anger writing. i say capitalize on it.

hate. that's what you need now. go go go.

adam

Thursday, December 18, 2008 12:55:00 pm  
Blogger ai said...

not my point. what i should've said was that i don't want to be an angry person anymore. anger makes me sound +/- act immature.

in order to try and grow up, i have to let it go.

Saturday, December 20, 2008 6:15:00 am  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home