Thursday, April 12, 2007

AI


Today when the delivery guy was confirming my name, I realized there was something missing.

I don't remember exactly when I lost the binti in my name. I think it's been about 2 years now. And lately I can't be bothered with the apostrophe as well. I know I just need to flick my hand to make the apostrophe, but malas is malas is malas. Now it's just Asma Ibrahim, very plain very fucking simple. And I love it!

I love my parents for giving us all simple yet sensible names. My sister was given a 'Noor' and I suspect I had narrowly escaped such misfortune. Whew, surely a 'Noor' is harder to be rid of. An apostrophe is so miniscule people can think they've just been imagining it. Hmm, did Asma really have an apostrophe before or was it all just in my head? A 'Noor', not even magic can make it disappear. Anyway, nothing bad about the Nurs, Nors and Sitis, they're just not me.

Fine, I'll just say it. Some names give the impression that the persons bearing them are gentle and/or soft and (dare I say it) girlish. It would be a dark day if I ended up with such names.

My friend told me the apostrophe was unique and I should think about keeping it. 23 years I thought the silly thing was taunting the rest of my name. It doesn't belong to the alphabets, its size is pathetic, it's positional, and people either pay too much attention than it deserves or they don't give shit at all. It's functional yea, but put it at the end of someone's name, it's just awkward.

If I could change my name, I wouldn't do it really. As much as I find the apostrophe annoying, I love my initials =) C'mon, I don't know anyone else with better initials, ha!

Aww what is holiday without self-obsession? *geleng kepala* I should find a hobby.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home